OPENRTOS® and the FreeRTOS kernel share the same code base. The additional value offered by OPENRTOS is as a ‘commercial and legal wrapper’ for the FreeRTOS kernel, which can also be extended to the software libraries that make up Amazon FreeRTOS.
Developers upgrade to an OPENRTOS license for two main reasons:
- To overcome any company policy restrictions on use of open source software;
- To access additional services, such as professional grade support, training, consultancy and tools.
Why Consider Commercial Licensing?
There are several reasons why developers may find the Amazon FreeRTOS MIT license restrictive.
- Companies may have a blanket ban on using open source software within their projects;
- They might require IP indemnification.
- They may require warranty.
WITTENSTEIN high integrity systems delivers OPENRTOS® configured for a specific compiler and processor combination, and ensures customers receive fully working code, with a working demonstration application, and the reassurance of professional support