SAFERTOS for Aerospace Systems
WITTENSTEIN high integrity systems (WHIS) has the benefit of years of experience working in the aerospace sector to draw on when providing RTOS solutions for safety critical applications. SAFERTOS provides developers with a responsive, robust, and deterministic embedded RTOS, containing features supporting the development of safety critical devices, coupled with an Aerospace Design Assurance Pack that provides an easy route to achieving certification of SAFERTOS once integrated within an aerospace product.
- Deterministic, responsive embedded RTOS
- Reduces certification time and costs
- Reduces product development risks
Our History in Aerospace
The WITTENSTEIN Group developed the electromechanical and sensing elements of the T‑50 Golden Eagle's active sidestick - a family of supersonic advanced trainer and multirole fighters. WITTENSTEIN high integrity systems (WHIS) provided the systems and software engineering team for this development. Today, WHIS focuses on developing embedded Real Time Operating Systems and Software Components for use in safety critical applications.
100% MC/DC Test Coverage
MC/DC is used in avionics software development to ensure adequate testing of the most critical software, which is defined as that software which could provide, or prevent failure of, continued safe flight and landing of an aircraft.
Each SAFERTOS version achieves 100% MC/DC coverage when tested against the SAFERTOS requirements set. This not only ensures that the compiler’s output is correct, it also ensures all requirements have been fully tested and that there is no unused or undocumented code within SAFERTOS.
Full Requirements Tracing
The SAFERTOS Aerospace Design Assurance Pack supports full tracing; from the user requirements, into the software requirements and design, across the comprehensive verification documentation and into the verification test logs. This tracing information can either be supplied as a DOORS® database, or exported into a spreadsheet. 100% traceability across the full design life cycle clearly demonstrates the completeness of each SAFERTOS port.
Tracing into Source Code
SAFERTOS supports Bidirectional tracing between the aerospace Design Assurance Pack and the SAFERTOS source code to comply with the rigorous requirements of DO178C. This is achieved by tracing to function level code within the DOORS database
WHIS will supply clear and concise information for the inclusion of SAFERTOS into an aerospace project. This information can be included within the RTOS section of your PSAC.
Exceptional High Quality
WHIS uses a high integrity lifecycle to develop, maintain and support SAFERTOS and its Design Assurance Packs that’s supported by a deeply institutionalised Quality Management System (QMS). Work started on the QMS in 1999, when WHIS was developing flight control systems. Over the subsequent years WHIS has developed its QMS to encompass the range of applications and standards it supports today, as demand for its services and products from its customers have broadened and deepened.
Lloyds Register LRQA UK independently certifies the WHIS QMS to ISO 9001, with the applicable scope:
Lloyds Register LRQA UK
Beyond SAFERTOS for Aerospace
- SAFERTOS CORE: for aerospace devices that only need to consider safety and don’t require full certification.
- Safety Components: bring greater robustness to safety critical aerospace designs. WHIS Safety components are available with a Design Assurance Pack supporting certification to aerospace standards.
- Board Support Packages and Drivers: delivered either as commercial grade components, or with a Design Assurance Pack supporting submissions and certifications.
- Training: maximise the use of your RTOS and increase development proficiency by attending one of our comprehensive training courses.
- Peer review services: sometimes just a few hours of consultancy to review a preliminary aerospace design, and check the proposed design approach is taken is correct, can deliver significant benefits to the outcome of a project.
- Consultancy services: designed to support our aerospace customers, allowing us to share our knowledge and experience of aerospace device development to help optimise the final design, improve the design processes and smooth the route to certification.