Safety Certified RTOS
SAFERTOS is a safety certified Real Time Operating System (RTOS) for embedded processors. It delivers superior performance and pre-certified dependability, whilst utilizing minimal resources.
- Developed by WHIS, a safety systems company
- Supports a wide range of international development standards
- Based on the FreeRTOS functional model
- Available pre-certified to IEC 61508-3 SIL 3 by TÜV SÜD
- Part of the WITTENSTEIN group, established in 1948
SAFERTOS is tailored to your specific processor/compiler combination, and delivered with full source code and our Design Assurance Pack (DAP) . The DAP gives you complete transparency over the full Design Life Cycle, and illustrates the exceptional high quality of our RTOS product. The DAP ensures:
- No retesting on target hardware is required
- Easy installation and integration into your development environment
- Reduced development costs and improved time to market
- Smooth path to certifying SAFERTOS within an application
A Safety Systems Company
As WITTENSTEIN high integrity systems are first and foremost a Safety Systems Company, we can offer that all important extra service:
- Safety Critical design review services
- Consultancy on the safety certification process
- SAFERTOS training including safety related requirements
- Safe integration of middleware and full BSP's solutions
Using our extensive Safety Critical design experience we have made certifying SAFERTOS integrated within a product an easy and hassle-free process.
Contained within the DAP is the all-important Safety Manual. The Safety Manual explains exactly how to install and integrate SAFERTOS into your development environment. Following the concise instructions will also generate the evidence required by your auditors to confirm the process has been followed correctly. This removes the need to re-test SAFERTOS on your target hardware, and provides a solid dependable platform for your development.
In many safety critical applications the real time operating system (RTOS) is the most critical component. The RTOS not only schedules the functionality of the software, it also schedules the operation of Safety Monitors and Safety Functions. The RTOS is frequently used to isolated safety critical code, ensuring it can operate without interference from other tasks. A failure in the RTOS will most likely compromise the Safety Case of the complete system.
SAFERTOS has been designed specifically for the safety sector, and deterministic priority based scheduling is the primary Safety Requirement. Every effort has been made to ensure deterministic behaviour is maintained. To ensure this SAFERTOS has been independently certified many times on numerous platforms, for many different applications, to IEC61508-3 SIL3, the highest possible SIL level for a software only component.
Ottobock chose SAFERTOS to replace all of their custom embedded software across their microprocessor controlled lower limb prostheses. They have this to say about WITTENSTEIN high integrity systems:
– Cor van Dam, Ottobock.